Request for help on VM

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Mar 21 13:16:57 UTC 2009

On 03/20/2009 01:49 PM, RAMAKISHOREBABU KOPPULA wrote:
> How to do this with VirtualBox?
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Mike Burger
> <mburger at bubbanfriends.org <mailto:mburger at bubbanfriends.org>> wrote:
>
>     Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>         On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:51:53PM +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
>

>             RAMAKISHOREBABU KOPPULA wrote:
>

>                 G'day all,
>
>                 I have two partitions in my PC. I have installed F10
>                 on one partition  and Windows XP on the second
>                 partition. Now, can I run the XP as guest  OS on F10
>                 using VM? and how?
>

>             Did you try VirtualBox?
>

>         VirtualBox isn't part of Fedora, and it's not required to do
>         what the
>         OP's asking about.  The virtualization that comes with Fedora
>         works
>         just fine.
>

>     That being said, and the fact that the OP wasn't specific about
>     which VM system he wanted to use, if a specific one was in mind,
>     VirtualBox works wonderfully, so far, in my limited use, if he's
>     interested in that option.

To convert a Windows partition to a Virtual Machine can be done in a few
ways.
1. Use VMWare's P2V converter. This will convert the data in the
partition to a .VDK file. You can then import this into Virtualbox. I
don't know if you can do the same with KVM (Fedora's built-in virtual
machine).
2. Virtualbox has a web page on how to convert physical to virtual:
<http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=11279&sid=b4e5df8dc43a979aec9996896693dfef>

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix