Re: How do I add ntp servers??

Beartooth wrote:
I'd've sworn I'd posted this yesterday, but I don't see it; my apologies if it's a re-run.

The ntpserver I used to use, ntp.vt.edu, is gone; it has been replaced by ntp-x.vt.edu, for x = 1 - 4.

Afaict, F10 uses Redhat's servers and only Redhat's ntpservers; and the comment at the head of /etc/ntp/ntpservers says :

#This file contains a list of ntp servers to show in the system-config-
date user interface.
#It is not recommended that you modify this file by hand.

I *think* that just means that the proper way to modify it is to run system-config-date as root, and make the changes that way. I did; but I see no change in /etc/ntp/ntpservers. Do I have to log out and back in, or what?

It's confusing, but the ntpd used in F10 doesn't use those files any
more.  Have a look in /etc/ntp.conf.

Or is there some reason those of us with closer ntpservers should nevertheless use Redhat and Redhat only??

I wish they'd make up their minds as to which set of files they're going
to use, although this may be an ntpd version thing.  First it was
/etc/ntp.conf, then it was /etc/ntp/ntpservers and step-tickers, now
it's back to /etc/ntp.conf.  I get confused.
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -