How do I add ntp servers??

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue Mar 24 18:04:28 UTC 2009

Beartooth wrote:
> 	I'd've sworn I'd posted this yesterday, but I don't see it; my
> apologies if it's a re-run.
>
> 	The ntpserver I used to use, ntp.vt.edu, is gone; it has been
> replaced by ntp-x.vt.edu, for x = 1 - 4.
>
> 	Afaict, F10 uses Redhat's servers and only Redhat's ntpservers;
> and the comment at the head of /etc/ntp/ntpservers says :
>
>> #This file contains a list of ntp servers to show in the system-config-
>> date user interface.
>> #It is not recommended that you modify this file by hand.
>
> 	I *think* that just means that the proper way to modify it is to
> run system-config-date as root, and make the changes that way. I did; but
> I see no change in /etc/ntp/ntpservers. Do I have to log out and back in,
> or what?

It's confusing, but the ntpd used in F10 doesn't use those files any
more.  Have a look in /etc/ntp.conf.

> 	Or is there some reason those of us with closer ntpservers should
> nevertheless use Redhat and Redhat only??

I wish they'd make up their minds as to which set of files they're going
to use, although this may be an ntpd version thing.  First it was
/etc/ntp.conf, then it was /etc/ntp/ntpservers and step-tickers, now
it's back to /etc/ntp.conf.  I get confused.
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -