HDMI sound, Nvidia drivers and the ALSA drivers

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Mar 25 23:07:10 UTC 2009

There have been a number of questions about this over the last
months,
so I thought I'd post a summary of my results.

The short answer: the latest kernel, 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10, provides
the 1.0.17 ALSA drivers. For the snd_hda_intel driver at least, that's
not sufficient. The solution is to get the latest (1.0.19) driver from
the ALSA site, compile and install. You don't need full kernel sources
to do this; the kernel-devel module is enough.

FWIW, here's the relevant info on the hardware.
	MB: ASUS P5N7A-VM
	*-multimedia
             product: MCP79 High Definition Audio
             vendor: nVidia Corporation
	info.product = 'ALC888 Digital ALSA Playback Device'