rkhunter found this...

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Mar 27 00:51:40 UTC 2009

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:

>>> It looks more like a typo, as another poster said (one L).
>>>

>> Could be, but I had /dev/null deleted on a machine once and
>> the ensuing fun was really spectacular :-).
>>
>> Doing "whatever > /dev/null" wasn't too bad, but when
>> someone said "whatever < /dev/null" amazingly random things
>> could happen.
>>

> The point is, it is not MY scripts doing this!  I have had
> this bugger for quite some time on F9 and it does not
> go away!  Grr.  I just deleted it every time rkhunter
> reports it.  Probably just ignore the darn thing....

This information kinda re-enforces that its a typo in a script somewhere.

Is the text really "nsdc:" or is it "nscd:"?  nscd would be the Name
Service Caching Daemon.

My F9 system exhibits no such behaviour.  Then again, I'm not running
nscd on my F9 system, instead I'm using named which is running on my F8
server.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com