Re: rkhunter found this...

Tom Horsley wrote:

> Could be, but I had /dev/null deleted on a machine once and
> the ensuing fun was really spectacular :-).
>
> Doing "whatever > /dev/null" wasn't too bad, but when
> someone said "whatever < /dev/null" amazingly random things
> could happen.

Even funnier stuff happened to me, with a broken installer of a BIG
commercial app.
It removed /dev/null (yes, let's remove the file in which we logged,
which was called... /dev/null), then did a "something >/dev/null"
and created a file owned by a specific user. :-)

So,

echo "a" >/dev/null
Permission denied.

Almost everything on the system appeared to be broken.

:-)

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it