Backing up system

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Mar 27 17:51:40 UTC 2009

From:           	Bill Crawford <billcrawford1970 at gmail.com>
To:             	fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject:        	Re: Backing up system
Date sent:      	Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:42:56 +0000
Copies to:      	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>

> On Friday 27 March 2009 09:01:30 Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>
> > It does work best if you clear unused space before doing an image to reduce
> > space since the null filled sectors compress to almost nothing.
>
> How do you do that?

The cd has various scripts and programs on it to help.
cleandrive is the simplest script that free space for linux/unix.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits bs=20M
rm /0bits

That script does it, but no feedback on process. cleandrive5 and cleandrive6
do the same but use Dialog or Xdialog to provide a progress bar. The require
the appropriate dialog program be installed and the jetcat-mod program
copied to the / directory.

For fat32 and ntfs partitions blank6.exe can be used to clear free space for
Windows. The is a lblank6 linux program that does a similar task from linux
on the mounted fat32 or ntfs partition.

Additionally, there are other programs on the web that do this.

Long ago, I had done a Fedora 3 full install on a 80GB disk, and did an
image. Produced a 12GB compressed image file. Then cleared unused
space, and redid image. Only a 2.5GB image file. So, the random
information from the drive took 9.5GB of space.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 7,566,804.7045 | EINSTEIN 2,416,953.8009 | ROSETTA
838,646.7327