How to get send mail without localhost.localdomain

I put a .forward in /root so that I can receive logwatch emails from
my desktop. But against everything I have tried, I can't get sendmail
to use root example com instead of root localhost localdomain

I don't want to stick example.com in to /etc/hosts as it will mess
with other things (the workstation is not example.com, but
workstation.example.com)

Please advise.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin