Re: Laptop security

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:14:52 +0000,
  g <geleem bellsouth net> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > Another approach might be to have a way to disable hardware in the machine
>
> ibm had a good idea, but how many laptops where left alone because of it?

That won't help with preventing loss either, but it might make recovery
cost effective. With law enforcement the cost of recovery is so high,
it could easily cost more to recover a laptop than its worth. If you
are publishing lists of serial numbers of stolen units and repair shops
seize any that they run across, I think you can recover stolen ones for
less money. You still won't get a lot back.