64 bit kernel in 32 bit system

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 30 21:45:15 UTC 2009

Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
> When I first read it, I thought it meant a 64bit kernel, but 32bit
> software on a 64bit CPU - which doesn't seem that difficult or
> revelational to me.

That was the idea. It has been dropped for F11, maybe we'll see it in F12,
maybe never.

IMHO the best solution is to just promote the 64-bit version more. The
current download page where only the 32-bit version is offered at first and
you have to go to the "all downloads" table to get the 64-bit one really
sucks. The 64-bit version should be the default, the 32-bit version should
be advertised only for netbooks and old machines.

        Kevin Kofler