Problem booting CentOS 5.2 machine

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Mar 31 15:16:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 11:08 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> I have a CentOS 5.2 machine that is refusing to get past starting the
> System Message Bus. This machine is tied into an Active Directory as a test
> mail server. A little Googling shows that it's somehow related to being
> unable to talk to the LDAP server. How do I figure out what's causing the
> problem? Yesterday before rebooting the server, I downloaded and installed
> a newer version of NMAP on it, and suddenly yesterday, shortly after I
> rebooted it, it won't finish booting.  As I said, I looked for an answer on
> Google and found that it's tied into LDAP, but I'm not sure 1) what is
> causing the problem and 2) how to solve it.
>
> Can someone here please provide some help? I'm not exactly a linux newbie,
> but I am new to tieing linux into Active Directory.
----
There is a CentOS mail list...

try adding to the bottom of /etc/ldap.conf

timelimit 30
bind_timelimit 30
bind_policy soft
nss_initgroups_ignoreusers root,ldap,named,avahi,haldaemon,dbus

which would speed up starting of some services but I'm not sure that is
your problem because eventually, each of those services gives up and
starts (or doesn't) and moves on.

Craig