Web of Trust (a revolution)

m maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:02:02 UTC 2009

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> m wrote:
>> I would point you to Firefox for instance, which by some(not I) is
>> reported to be a very insecure browser. There was an article, a while
>> back, that pointed out that it had more software vulnerabilities than
>> other browsers in I think it was 06 or 07. On the surface the article
>> seemed legit but proprietary browsers do not disclose all insecurities
>> found, only the publicly reported ones, where as Firefox, this is my
>> understanding please correct if wrong, reports all security issues
>> including the ones found in internal audits. So yes Firefox had more
>> reported problems but only because they disclose all of them. So who can
>> I trust? Just me it seems and the few friends that I have, signed keys
>> ,as pointed out by others, is no guarantee that things were or are done
>> properly. That for me anyway is what the issue of trust comes down too,
>> consistency, its based on that, that I decide whether I can trust them
>> or just trust them to be themselves.
>
> Konqueror is not a proprietary browser, and I trust KDE to disclose all the
> vulnerabilities they fix, yet it has a lot fewer security issues than
> Firefox.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Wasn't trying to slight Konqueror , i should have been more clear, the
comparison in the article was of course trying to paint IE as the poster
boy for security(Safari was mentioned also and I think Opera but I can't
stumble across the article again for the life of me) and implied that
using FF was dangerous in the extreme. A notion I found laughable but if
your completely uninformed you just might get taken in by the hype. As
for Konqueror vs FF, well I haven't used Konqueror in quite some time
now so I can't make an honest comparison. Might be time to fix that...

--
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand" --Albert Einstein

Bored??
http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Fuqwit1.0

http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Coding_the_Magic_into_the_Eight_Ball