Re: Fresh install Fedora 10 X86_64 problems

Jeff Voskamp wrote:
Jim wrote:
Jeff Voskamp wrote:
cd /home
for x in *; do
chown -R $x:$x $x
done

That doesn't seem to work for what I'm doing.

What I'm trying to do is change all directories/files in a /home/user, from one owner/group to another owner/group.

When I installed FC10, fresh install and format the / partition and left the /home partition from the old fedora 8 install
in place.
FC10 for some reason change all the directories/files to another user on box into a /home/user. I know this sounds confusing but the point, /home/molly has the wrong owner/group on her files. I have got to get them back to molly:molly in /home/molly.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help

You saved /home on the re-install and re-created all the accounts and now they don't line up? The above script will change /home/joe (and subdirectories) to be user joe and group joe, /home/fred to user fred and group fred, etc. If you haven't re-created the accounts yet then that's a different problem.

Jeff

Are you saying ?

chown -R molly:molly $x , what is the $x suppose to represent ?