"Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 1 21:17:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 11:41 -0700, Aldo Foot wrote:
> I learned that small units like the one I have will eventually die.
> It's just a matter of time. It appears to be specially true if all the
> ports are used 24/7, which is my case. High transfer rates create
> heat, which causes the caps to blow. Who knows, maybe they are made to
> be that way, so we keep the manufacturers in business... keep buying
> switches.

Just because it's not a mainframe doesn't mean that it doesn't need
special computer airconditioning to keep it cool...

The bad design of personal computers, and peripherals, is rather awful.
You have devices that get very hot, and few of them seem to have been
designed to manage it, even fewer to cope with not having optimum
airflow through the thing.

Where does a PC tower go?  On the floor, sucking up fluff and muck.
Where does a desktop box go?  Pushed up against the wall, blocking the
vents, mangling the connectors, being crushed by a monitor on top of it.
Or either of them shoved inside a desk, roasting because it's a box in a
box.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686