Off topic - mobo recommendations

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sat May 2 19:12:44 UTC 2009

In my eyes AMD has fallen way behind the times. The Phenom X4 quad core
processors don't have much on-die L2 cache and the different package
profiles are a real pain. I don't know what is selling better for AMD,
their ATI-branded graphics boards or their processor lines.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/comparison/DesktopCPU.aspx

I just priced a very nice Dell Vostro 420 system. The Intel Q6600 quad
core processor offers 12M of L2 and based on my work with slower
versions of the Q6600...that is a lot of speed. It's probably cheaper
and more gratifying (in terms of real development products you produce)
to buy one of these rather than going with a self-built AMD system. Most
of my exposure is to the low end of both Intel and AMD consumer-focused
processors. I don't think I've worked with either Opteron or Xeon
processors for example. I wanted to build an Opteron system for myself,
but then I became really interested in building circuits and physical
computing.

I don't know if the AMD Opteron processors are any better than the
Phenom X4. It's hard to get through the hype on AMD's website and look
at some Opteron comparison charts.

Bob