Installing a module

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun May 3 18:04:05 UTC 2009

Hi;

I have had difficulty getting tvtime to work.  There is no sound and the
channel changer wouldn't work.

I have solved the channel changing problem by modprobe tuner -- but I
can't get it to stick i.e. I need to put a line into modprobe.d.  How do
I do this?

I have checked man modprobe.d --  "install modulename command..."
Will "install tuner" do or do I need a specific command? If so what
would it be?  I have no dependencies etc.

As well, there is file /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist.  I assume
this is where I add the line -- but no mention of modprobe.conf.dist is
made in man.

Just some suggestions would be helpful regarding sound.

I am using alsa

My tvtime.xml is set to :line
I have no actual external line-in from my Hauppauge WinTV HVR 1800 PCIe
tv tuner card to my sound.

My Volume Gui is set to HDA Intel (Alsa Mixer)
with volume sliders for Master (60%), PCM (100%), Front (100%), Line-in
(100%), CD (0 %), PC Speaker (100%)

I have been told that tvtime automatically finds my sound mixer driver
and after that all sound problems are with alsa !?

What other sound configurations should I experiment with?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3