Networking questions

I recently swapped a MB in a system. The MB is from a different manufacturer that the original. I managed to generate a new initrd-*.img with the proper SATA driver (the 3 drives are all SATA and the SATA chip was different between the MBs) and the machine boots, but I'm having the following problem with the network setup.

If I set the host name to localhost.localdomain, the machine boots, but the network HW isn't configured until very "late in the game". I setup the machine to boot into run level 3. After the I get a login prompt I see the following...

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0_rename: link is not ready
tg3: eth0_rename: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
tg3: eth0_rename: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0_rename: link becomes ready

The MB has two network connections, and the second (eth1) is not connected.

If I give my machine a host name, it hangs in the RPC idmapd portion of the boot process.

The network chip is a Broadcom 5721.

ASUSTeK Computer NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet PCI express

At some point I activated the Network manager because I was having trouble configuring the eth0 device.

Why does the eth0_rename connection get generated?

Suggestions?

Pete