"Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:33:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM, David Liguori <liguorid at albany.edu> wrote:
>.....  You say the room is well-ventilated but
> that doesn't rule out too high an ambient temperature in a room full of
> equipment, especially if it was sitting on top of or in a rack full of other
> equipment.  .....

Alright... where did you put that webcam. :-)
You're correct. The ambient temp may be an issue, but only if I keep the
door wide open. The switch was placed on top of the server, but the
server has plenty of ventilation. I'll take a closer look at this though.

> If you're pretty sure the capacitor is what's ailing it and it's
> through-hole rather than surface mounted, I would consider it well worth
> fixing, or even trying if there's greater than a 10% success probability.
>  Many 8-port switches aren't worth fixing below that.

Yeah. It was the cap. It was blown from the top. The rest appeared to
be alright... and for that reason I'm reluctant to just toss it out.

~af