Re: How to use gpg-agent

Steven W. Orr wrote:

> I just started using gpg2 and saw that the gpg-agent needed to be run. I
> added use-agent to my gpg.conf and also added
>
> #! /bin/bash
> eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
>
> to ~/.kde/AutoStart and it seems to work fine. What I don't understand
> is the whole concept of caching passphrases.
>
> 1. How do I control how long a passphrase is cached before it decides it
> wants me to be re-asked?

You may want to read the gpg-agent man page. This is controlled by
the options in ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf. (Or the defaults, if you do
not change them in the config file.)

> 2. Can I preload a passphrase when I log in? I know all about the
> security issues; I just want to know how to do it.

I do not know the KDE equivalent of gnome-keyring, but you can use
it to store your pass-phrase and key it to you login password. I do
not use it - I like the extra protection of the gpg pass-phrase.

Mikkel