f10dvd installs but won't boot

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:45:34 UTC 2009

David:
> My (differing) interpretation of the above is that he is reporting
> success at reaching text login in f10. But like much of what he
> writes, it is hard to be sure what he is actually saying.
----
Craig:
it doesn't make sense that he can't boot from his F10 installation
directly but chainload to his FC5 installation which gives him a boot
menu that boots his F10 installation.

That almost begs to get the full copies of both /boot/grub/grub.conf and
compare them.
======
jbyers:
sorry i wasnt clearer:
1) yes, I can get a root login to level 3
   to do this I had to boot back into fc5
  (via the chainloader stanza in the f10 grub.conf)
   mount the f10 partition,
  and use emacs to put in "3" end of kernel line in f10 grub.conf.
  Then on rebooting, i get to f10 level 3 console login.

2) so now that i can get that root login, what can i do with it?
   This f10 install was done using the minimum default choices
   so i dont even know what text editors available.

3)let me try to correct above

Craig:
it doesn't make sense that he can't boot from his F10 installation directly
jbyers: i can to level 3,  see 1)

Craig: but chainload to his FC5 installation
jbyers: this is correct

Craig: which gives him a boot menu that boots his F10 installation.
jbyers: wrong, I am no longer using fc5  to boot into f10,
    that was some time ago and attempts there
    often hit " Error2 Bad file or directory"
    which error I have never seen since using f10 in control of grub.

    That Error2 I also found googling a similar case
     of Centos,f9   playing roles of my fc5,f10.
    There the conclusion was that the older grub in centos,
    somehow couldnt mount f9...
    I concluded that if Centos,f9 couldnt play ball
    then I was wasting my time  trying  fc5,f10

so, to repeat, I only use fc5 to enable editing f10 grub.conf
 if I cant do the editing within f10.

thanks much, David and Craig for ongoing response
Jack