Re: Kernel-firmware package and Anaconda.

On Apr  1, 2009, Bram_Gro <Bram_Gro lavabit com> wrote:

> For those (like me) who wish to avoid proprietary firmware, they have
> been moved since Fedora 10 into a single package called kernel-firmware.
> Can I uncheck this kernel-firmware package during the custom
> installation process within Anaconda, or is this done otherwise?

No, the kernel packages depend on kernel-firmware, and the kernel
package itself contains non-Free firmware and microcode.

Besides, both kernel and kernel-firmware contain Free Software too,
which you presumably wouldn't want to remove.

Your best bet to avoid non-Free Software from Fedora is probably to
resort to Freed-ora Linux-libre builds, available from
http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/, and to exclude *-firmware and
microcode_ctl from the Fedora repositories.