Re: install disk

Michael Shelby wrote:
OK, I am having a challenging time with my video drivers, which I am not complaining, I knew this whole process was going to be an experience builder, I like a challenge. I am a game designer in the works that is why I am liking this OS because of all the different developing software they have that are open source. Any way I finally fingered out how to use the terminal to install the ATI drivers for my card, strait from ati web site, run the aticonfig, which i dont know if I am soppost to modify any thing, reboot and it loads to the blue and white load screen and freezes. had to reinstall fresh. You said

You sure are going about this the hard way....

     " I'm sure Kevin Kofler will have more to say on this subject, as
    he seems to be more up-to-date on the state of the free ATI drivers
    than I am."

If you could forward this to him or tell me where to contact him via email,

He is on this list.

        I do not think I am installing XFree86-Mesa-libGL correct.
        Pretty sure I got the rest,  libstdc++, libgcc, XFree86-libs,
        fontconfig, freetype, zlib, gcc

        Display1:  PCI express 2.0 1 gig ATI Radeon HD 4670
        Display2: Onbord ATI Radeon™ X1200 -- I dont use Onbord
          sys info: Acer Aspire M1100

       BIOS:  Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
       AMD Athlon 64X2Dual 4400+ 2.3Ghz
       6 gig ram

        OS Dual boot: Fadora 11 64bit rawhide and vista home 32bit

I can not do any 3D modeling or relly anything that has to use any 3D rendering like some of the 3d games you can install and the desktop effects will not enable.

Try the following:

	yum install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd

You should also have the xorg-x11-drv-ati package installed.

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you might try changing your driver from
"ati" or "radeon" to either "radeonhd" or "fglrx" (since you have the fglrx driver installed from source). Personally, I install it from the RPMFusion repository.

# rpmq -a \*fglrx\*
akmod-fglrx-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-9.3-2.fc9.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.x86_64-9.2-2.fc9.1.x86_64
kmod-fglrx-2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.x86_64-9.3-1.fc9.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-9.3-2.fc9.x86_64

A simple:

	yum install xorg-x11-drv-fglrx

should drag in all the needed dependencies.

And above all, read the documentation that comes with the drivers. Make sure that your video card is supported to the degree you need it supported.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com