What software is missing in the Fedora repository?

Georgi Hristozov georgi at forkbomb.nl
Fri May 8 16:55:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

Rahul Sundaram написа:
> On 05/07/2009 05:32 PM, Georgi Hristozov wrote:
>
>> It will be nice to see the omnibook module too (
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/omke ). The project seems dead and the
>> only usable version is the SVN snapshot, but I think it will help the
>> notebook users who can't compile the module themselves and need built-in
>> support for the specific hardware. For example, without omnibook it's
>> impossible to use your bluetooth on such notebook.
>
> Fedora doesn't allow third party kernel module packages. It can go to
> RPM Fusion but this stuff should just work out of the box and not depend
> on dead modules. Can you file a bug report in http://bugzilla.redhat.com
> for the functionality that is missing?
>
> Rahul

I didn't knew that policy, sorry then.

I think the problem with omnibook is with the kernel, not Fedora. I
don't know the kernel development process in detail, so I don't know why
this module is not commited there. But anyway, I'm not the only one
using it, and I'm sure that the kernel hackers are aware of omnibook, so
there should be a good reason to keep it out of Linux. :)