Re: Fdisk screwup

On Sat, 9 May 2009 08:02:22 -0500
Dave Ihnat wrote:

> Hmm...just curious; why didn't you just cat /dev/zero >/dev/sdc?

I don't think cat knows when to stop.

I always use dd to restrict it to a few disk blocks - I find that
wiping the first 10K or so usually gets enough to make the disk
look blank, and doesn't take as long as wiping the whole disk.
(Of course if you are going for security, you might want to wipe
the whole disk).