Dlink DIR-655 Do you have one of these lurking in your network?

Wendell Nichols wcn00 at shaw.ca
Sat May 9 14:39:46 UTC 2009

I've been struggling with a wireless issue for some time.  I even
switched from Suse 11 to Fedora 10 trying to shake it (which was unfair
but I had other reasons too).  The symptom is that the wireless
connectivity would hang periodically for 30 sec to 3 or 4 minutes.  Long
enough to disrupt remote desktop sessions and sometimes even kill the
vpn.  It was usually a short lived event so it didn't usually disrupt
network browsing (indistinguishable from a slow website) and ftp clients
and torrent clients all survived the interruptions.   Oddly enough,
during the hang I could ping my linux router (which the dlink is behine)
but not the isp's router.
Anyway, to make a long story shorter I eventually checked the Dlink
DIR-655 page to see if there were any issues related to my wireless
router.  Sure enough there is a firmware update for, what is rather
vaguely described as, "- Fixed WAN speed issue:"
See:
http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=530&sec=0

I applied the update and have been very happy with the results.
I still have network issues but now they are of the "identifiable" sort.
If you have one of these GET THE UPDATE.  The router is worthless
without it!
thnx  wcn