Still having problems with my tv tuner -- need help

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat May 9 22:44:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 22:23 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009 20:22, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > tvtime gives me a great picture but no sound.
> >
> > mplayer gives me a terrible picture and no sound.
> >
> > (terrible = inverted picture with green background; just black and
> > magenta for colours; and vertical lines running through it.)
> >
> > Is there a way to find out which video codecs etc. tvtime is using so I
> > can duplicate them in mplayer.  tvtime -v doesn't tell me (I think) nor
> > is mplayer -v helpful.
> >
> > I have tried the sound with PulseAudio installed and removed.  No
> > difference.
>
> <enormous skip>
> > P.S.  I am starting a new thread because a lot of information has
> > changed since my original thread.
> > --
> > Regards Bill
> > Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3
> > Evo.2.24.5, Emacs 22.3.1
>
> Hi Bill.
>
> I did a whole bunch of googling about your problem with the sound, and did
> find this on the v4l wiki for DVB. See below for link, etc.
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Cx88_devices_%28cx2388x%29

I appreciate the your time and effort.  I reviewed the site. Thanks.

> The suggestion is to load the following module, which affectively will create
> another soundcard for capture from the TV card.
>
> modprobe cx88-alsa

Placed it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for the time being (modules are a
subject for another day)

> For me, that also installed the cx88 module, and another bunch of modules
> related to v4l. As I don't have your TV card, or any TV card on this machine,
> I suspect the only extra modules you will see in lsmod is cx88, and
> cx88-alsa. You may now see 2 cards listed from the following command.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards

]$ lsmod | grep cx88_alsa
cx88_alsa              20488  0
cx88xx                 75048  1 cx88_alsa
videobuf_dma_sg        19972  3 cx88_alsa,cx88xx,cx23885
btcx_risc              12296  3 cx88_alsa,cx88xx,cx23885
snd_pcm                85640  3 cx88_alsa,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd                    68984  17 cx88_alsa,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,\
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep

]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xe5300000 irq 16

> If by some miracle you do, alsamixer as below should access controls for the
> second card.
>
> alsamixer -D hw:1        (F4 again, if there are any capture controls)

Alas, no miracle.

> The wiki link above suggests setting an alias line for cx88-alsa, and an
> options line so that on bootup it's set as card1. Some modules create
> problems and try to grab card0, which would create a conflict with your
> onboard soundcard which is set to use card0.
>
> There is no /etc/modprobe.conf file in F10, and not being sure where to add
> lines in /etc/modprobe.d's files, I simply created a modprobe.conf file
> in /etc, so that I could place an options line for my usb midi keyboard, and
> it appears to work ok. I would suggest that you might do the same, and add
> the following lines to it.
>
> alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
> options cx88-alsa index=1

No point unless a second sound card has been created.

I am now getting some ticking sounds as if mplayer is trying to produce
sound.  I will keep tweaking and fiddling.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3