Backing up whole system

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun May 10 05:37:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 00:53 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I think it is, although in the last year, the number of incidents of people
> coming to the amanda-users list for help with rpms has dropped noticeably.  I
> have NDI if its because the rpms are now working "out of the box" or if its
> because there seems to be a wider selection of ways to do it that appeal to
> the user, newbie or old hand, meaning amanda is getting onto fewer systems.  I
> personally like the set it up once and forget it until you need to recover
> something that amanda offers.  Heck, even the $3500 a seat Arkeia takes far
> more fiddling than amanda, every time you want to run it.  Hell of a way to
> run a train.  IMNSHO, the eye candy doesn't cut it, good backups do.
>
> My last post in this thread.  However, if the OP installs the amanda rpms and
> it works the way it is supposed to, I would very much like to hear about that.
>
> Most folks just go away once the question has been answered/argued about
> without ever letting us know of the successes or failures of our chosen
> methods.  That leaves both of us in the dark calling each other less than
> experts.  And that isn't pretty to the bystanders.
----
I don't know a thing about arkeia.

I use and have used Computer Associates BrightStor ArcServe at a few
clients, both Windows and Linux versions and it's OK. I'm at the point
now where there won't be any more purchases of ArcServe.

I use Backup Exec on one Windows server and hate it. It's only virtue
was that it was really cheap.

I used to use amanda with most of my Linux clients. It's a very good
program but is entirely command line driven unless you purchase Zamanda
and thus my clients have no chance at restoring files without my
involvement.

Several years ago, I switched over to Bacula because Kern Sibbald is a
genius (see apcupsd) and there are other tools like their web based
backup reports and a webmin module and now they have 'BAT' (Bacula
Administration Tool) which is a very nice QT4 driven console
application.

In short, I think amanda has lost much of the newer installations to
Bacula and not because amanda isn't a very effective backup program...it
is, but because their development has been too slow to embrace new
features. A current feature list can be found here...
http://bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Current_State_Bacula.html

What I have discovered is that the software compression sophistication
of amanda is moot when using LTO which is pretty much all I use any
more. The sophistication of changer handling in Bacula makes using the 8
and 16 tape changer mechanisms a piece of cake. I have installations
with Windows, Macintosh and Linux clients and the client setup is
essentially the same regardless.

Sorry to tell you this but amanda is yesterdays news.

Craig

believed to be clean.