Window manager warning: Fatal IO error 104

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Mon May 11 02:52:13 UTC 2009

an f10 install, minimum defaults from purchased dvd.
Only sda1 is formatted by installer; /boot not a separate partition.
Grub initially installed into 1st sector of sda1, left mbr alone.
Later Grub also installed into mbr of sda.
Currently booting into level 3, experiencing trouble with X-server

In a prior thread, Re: f10dvd installs but won't boot,
David wrote:

> Many people on this list will have much greater expertise than I to
> solve your X problem. My *non-expert* suggestions are that you could:

> 1) yum update xorg-x11-drv-mga

no help, nothing to update

> 5) Look at the xorg.conf of your previous Fedora install for ideas, if
> it is working ok on the same hardware.

yes, it is.

> 6) Try to create your own xorg.conf based on it and/or your tmp ones.
> Your xorg.log seems to be using the correct driver but reports "No
> monitor specified", you could try adding a "Monitor" block to your
> xorg.conf, particularly if you have one that works for your previous
> Fedora. I've had to do similar in the past.

Adding just the Monitor section seemed to work, at least initially:

------start of xorg.conf------------------
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105+inet"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

## monitor section from fc5 xorg.conf
Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "NEC MultiSync LCD1830"
	DisplaySize  360	290
	HorizSync    24.0 - 82.0
	VertRefresh  55.0 - 85.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "mga"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

----------end of xorg.conf---------

Now seems caught in some sort of mix of errors from
X server, Window manager, startx:

[root at localhost ~]# system-config-display -v
Read configuration file /etc/xorg.conf
Trying with card: u'Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G550 AGP'
Writing temporary config file to /tmp/tmpNdA6Fexorg.config
Trying to start X server
Waiting for X server to start...log located in /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
1...2...3...4...5....X server started successfully.
Backing up /etc/xorg.conf to /etc/xorg.conf.backup
Writing configuration to /etc/xorg.conf
Removing old /etc/X11/X
Creating /etc/X11/X symlink
Window manager warning: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer)
on display ':17.0'.
[root at localhost ~]#

it says "X server started successfully"
but then  " Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on display ':17.0'."

With that error, it may be silly to try startx, but i did anyway:

]# cat startxlog
[root at localhost ~]# startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3606
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keygiving up.
xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
[root at localhost ~]#

rm  .X0-lock
then another
startx

# cat startxlog2

[root at localhost ~]# startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3633
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running
xinit:  Server error.
[root at localhost ~]#

[root at bootp root]# ls -l X*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 43222 May  8 09:28 Xorg.0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   743 May 10 09:26 Xorg.setup.log.may10

why no current(may 10)  Xorg log?

[root at bootp root]# cat  Xorg.setup.log.may10

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5 i686
Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomain
2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 23 23:37:54 EDT 2009 i686
Build Date: 10 March 2009  07:20:48PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.5.3-15.fc10
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(++) Log file: "/dev/null", Time: Sun May 10 07:56:43 2009
(++) Using config file: "/tmp/tmpNdA6Fexorg.config"
[root at bootp root]#

no errors seen from this setup log

I have  done some googling on the Window manager error 104 but so far
no help to me.

Further steps?

Jack