Questions on Partitioning across two drives

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon May 11 03:10:21 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
>> On Sunday 10 May 2009 18:04:35 Jim wrote:
>>
>>> I have a EeePC 1000 with two SSD drives and Fedora 10.
>>> I want to make /  partition larger
>>> sda1 / 8gb
>>> sdb1 /home 32gb
>>>
>>> I want to make /home 20gb
>>> I want to make /   20gb
>>>
>>> I have  made sdb1 /home 20gb with Gparted and I made with the
>>> unallocated space a   / ext3 primary partition.
>>> how do I make that / partition to join with the /  on  sda1 ?
>>>

>> You will have to create a software RAID0 device that spans across both
>> drives and includes all of the space you want used for /, then create
>> a new partition for / within that RAID device.
>>

> What Raid Type would I use ?

You have 2 choices:

1) Create a RAID-0 partition which spans both drives.  This results in a
single partition.  The drives need to be the same size in order for the
striping to work.  These drives are not the same size.  You could stripe
the first 8GB for a 16 GB partition, but it would leave you with a 24 GB
2nd partition on sdb, 16/24 is not quite what you want.

2) Use LVM to merge the 2 physical partitions into a single logical
volume which spans both drives.  Since both logical partitions can be
allocated out of the single logical volume, you can make them whatever
size you need (ie, both of 20GB should be doable).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net