Re: Seagate disk problems (NCQ bug???)

"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh mimosa com> writes:
> "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang rupprecht+gnus200904 gmail com>:
> >After running flawlessly for 6+ months I just had my Seagate
> >ST31500343AS (w. SD35 firmware) flake out.
>
> And so it goes.  I infer that this cycle goes on until the power is
> turned off.

Yes, the system gets progressively wonkier until it is rebooted.  At
some point the drive just locks up hard and linux is dead in the water.

The funny part is that I can't find anything on Seagate's site admitting
to a problem with the version of the drive that I have.  There was some
other guy with the same model and same firmware that also noticed the
drive locking up once in a while.  Mine does it within 6 hours of me
streaming data to the drive.  Seems that the data direction is very
important.  It needs to be a write of several 1GB files for my system to
lock up.

At this point, I'd be happy to just turn off whatever feature is
triggering the drives firmware bug.  I'd turn off NCQ from the linux end
if there were any documentation on how to do it.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.