Running 32 bit binaries on 64 bit systems

Although I'm having this on FC11 I had it on FC6, so it's hardly "new" or "testing" material. The problem with trying to run 32 bit binaries is that they take vast numbers of libraries which have to be located and installed, and generally one at a time.

Now for people with lots of time, this is fine, and for people who want to get the source, port the application to 64 bit, and build it every few days, that's not a problem, glad you have the time and hardware. You are in the minority, you don't really understand the problem, so please don't post a ton of suggestions that these things take no time... they do.

For the rest of us, is there some tool which would locate all the executables in a directory tree, pull out the list of files, resolve the package names, and present them? Because the statement that the x86_64 release can run x86_32 binaries, while technically true, is pretty misleading. It can be done, but unless you have some need for 64 bit operation it's vastly less effort to run 32 bit.

Is there some tool, and can we tell search engines about it?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>