Running 32 bit binaries on 64 bit systems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed May 13 20:36:56 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 15:23 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> The problem with trying to run 32 bit binaries is that they
>> take vast numbers of libraries which have to be located and installed,
>> and generally one at a time.
>
> Aren't you using yum? I'm running 64-bit since F9 and have had zero
> problems of this sort.

What am I missing? Of course I have yum, what I don't have is a tool to look in
the 32 bit programs, find the libraries they need, and and then identify which
packages need to be installed to get those libraries.

Am I missing some yum magic which lets me unpack the binary from a tar file and
then do something like:
   yum do_magic /usr/local/bin/Rchase
and have it take apart the binary to find and install the libraries?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>