How to redirect http to https with Apache/SVN/SSL [SOLVED]

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri May 15 03:10:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 19:57 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I think you had it with the redirect causing an error in svn. The
> > change to https needs to be done at the request end (AFAIK) so if svn
> > can't/won't do that properly you are better off failing it with a
> > useful error than having the traffic to you be unencrypted.
> >
> > My opinion only, the client is not working in a good way, break it
> > rather than having it work in an actively BAD way.
> Yes, that was what I thought, since there is no real way
> to get a redirect with svn in the picture.  I tried it in all
> sorts of ways but was not able to.  It would be nice if
> there was a way to do a redirect cleanly, but alas, it's
> not to be had.
----
not that this is going to help but you are trying to solve a client
problem with a server solution. I don't see your problem as not being
able to 'redirect cleanly' because in my mind, 'RedirectPermanent' is as
clean as you can get but rather the client application apparently
doesn't have enough http skills to deal with the Redirect information it
has been given by the server. Probably some of that is about security
because you really don't want an unsophisticated client to willy nilly
accept redirection to another host/site/URL.

Craig

believed to be clean.