F10 no longer detects external display resolution correctly

Chris Bredesen cbredesen at redhat.com
Fri May 15 13:06:55 UTC 2009

Hi List,

As of quite recently (did an update of F10 last night but nothing looks
suspect i.e. no Xorg or display driver), my external display no longer
detects at the correct resolution.  This has been working flawlessly for
months if not a year or more.

This is a Dell D620 (Intel 950 chipset) with a 1440x900 LCD panel
connected to a 19" Acer display that's also 1440x900.  I cannot get F10
to allow 1440 on the external display regardless of whether it's
mirrored or not.  I've tried forcing it with xrandr (well, as much as
you can really "force" it) and it tells me this:

$ xrandr --output VGA --mode 1440x900
xrandr: cannot find mode 1440x900

Any ideas?  I'm going blind here with this crappy stretched display mode :)

-Chris