cups printers disabled randomely

Printer will randomly disable. Have to /usr/bin/enable the printer to continue printing.

RHES4

setup using system-config-printer command line in runlevel 3

HP laser printer 4200 on an HP jetdirect print server

Raw queue, basic text print command = lp –d printer# textfile

--Printer wil randomly disable and must be manually re-enabled.

I have tried timeout =0 in cupsd.conf – no change

I have worked on this for days now… wondering what is telling cups to disable the printer?

hald is not active

mime-type application/octel-stream on

everything else is defaults in cups.

I’m hoping someone here has already “been there--done that”

Please help…

Randy