cups printers disabled randomely

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri May 15 21:33:54 UTC 2009

Randy Easley wrote:
>> What ?signal? does CUPS get to disable the printer? Does it come from the
>
>> system lpd somewhere?
>

> I will let some with the know how comment on that part
>

>> How can I track it? Cups error_log give no information.
>

> Try setting the Loglevel to debug. It may point to something specific,
>
> just a thought.
>

> Already tried everything possible from cupsd.conf..  If printer is offline it will disable- no matter what you change.
>
> I want to believe it's a possible network issues, but if I knew why...
> I'd rather just completely disable/ignore the "disabling printer option"  :)
> Also, I'm not sure how to write a custom policy, if that's what it takes.
>
> Thanks for forwarding on... there are other forums who share this pain.

Uh, is this on a USB interface?  Recent Fedora kernels are built with
CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND, which may put your hub or printer into powersave
mode and make it drop offline.  There are several ways to prevent this.
I can give you suggestions if you need.
-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -