TV-out with nvidia drivers in Fedora 10

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sat May 16 14:58:33 UTC 2009

On Saturday 16 May 2009 09:41:04 am James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to get the TV out from my GeForce FX5200 to work. I'd ideally
> like it to be on at the same time as my flat screen and with my desktop
> extended onto it. I've been searching around for some information, but
> most of it seems quite out of date. I've got the proprietary Nvidia
> drivers installed at the moment.
>
> I've checked all this and got working under Windows, just need it to
> work in Linux.
>
> Does anyone have any advice on how to achieve this,
> Much appreciated,
> James Allsopp

I use the TV out to drive a component projector (with the dongle) for my
MythTV setup. For me, I either want the projector on (and the DFP off), or
vice versa so I use XRandR to switch between them.  If you want both of them
on at the same time, replace the NULL values in the metamodes option with the
appropriate values.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "TwinView Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "NoLogo" "TRUE"
        Option      "UseEvents" "TRUE"
        Option      "TwinView" "TRUE"
        Option      "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone"
        Option      "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP, TV"
        Option      "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0, TV-0"
        Option      "TVStandard" "HD1080i"
# Start with the DPF at 1920x1080 with the TV off (nVidia XRandR "fake rate
50")
# Allow switch to the TV at 1920x1080 with the DFP off (nVidia XRandR "fake
rate 51")
        Option      "MetaModes" "DFP-0: 1920x1080, TV-0: NULL; DFP-0:NULL,
TV-0: 1920x1080"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier  "Screen0"
        Device      "Device0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth   24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E