Squid 3 Transparent Proxy Configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 18 14:36:53 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 17:11 +0530, Hari wrote:
> Can anyone guide me how to configure transparent proxy with squid 3.

Squid has its own documentation for doing this, try reading that, then
ask questions about any specific problems you have.  If you're getting
good advice, it's going to be the same advice that Squid has already.
But with the added delay of emails going back and forth.

In a nutshell.  Get Squid working as a proxy, first.  One that does the
job when you tell your browser to use it as a proxy.  Then, play around
with firewall rules that (a) blocks attempts to make direct connections
bypassing the proxy, and (b) redirects direct attempts through the
proxy.

Personally, I think transparent proxies are a damn stupid thing.  They
get in the way of various things that don't work through proxies, making
it damn near impossible to just use the internet.  Proxies that you
elect to use, by deliberate configuration in the browser, are a good
thing.  You can save bandwidth, but you're not forced to use it.

Using automatic proxy configuration scripts (on a local webserver) is an
easy way of getting each browser to use your proxy without having to do
a lot of programming in each browser.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686