email command alternative: a command line SMTP client

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon May 18 16:07:36 UTC 2009

Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 18/05/2009 alle 08.54 -0500, Bruno Wolff III ha
> scritto:
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 12:13:49 +0200, Dario Lesca
>> <d.lesca at solinos.it> wrote:
>>> There is on Fedora Repository a command like this?
>>
>> You can use mutt to do command line email sending.
>
> Thanks Bruno, but how to set mutt via command line to connect to an
> external SMTP server (my provider, not sendmail on localhost) and
> then authenticate on it with SMTP-AUTH (a mail account, username and
> password) ?

You can set the smtp_{url,pass,*} variables to configure mutt's
builtin smtp support these days.  You can use the -e option to set or
push such changes via the command line.

> I not have configured a local MUA, I preferred send E-Mail via my
> external provider

If you do setup a local MTA to accept mail and deliver it via your
external provider, that's more or less what a MUA does anyway.
Configuring sendmail and postfix do do so is only a line or so in a
config file. :)

> "email" command is a simple way, but there is not a rpm on Fedora
> Repositories,

I'd guess that with such a generic name, the package and command line
utility could easily conflict with other tools.  Maybe that's kept
potential packagers at bay?  (I didn't search bugzilla, but it's
possible there's already a review request.)

There is no sweeter sound than the crumbling of your fellow man.
    -- Groucho Marx