How to set group of video and audio devices automatically

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Tue May 19 11:58:14 UTC 2009

That shouldn't matter. I want to have the owner and group permissions set
when the appropriate /dev nodes are created, on boot up or on insertion of
the device, independently of who is logged into which terminal. I mostly
use kde.

This is something of a work in progress. I am setting up a 2 seat, 2
graphics card configuration, with one graphics card dedicated to running
mythtv, and the other a regular desktop. I want mythtv to own the tv tuner
card, and the on board sound card. I want the user logged in at the other
terminal to own a usb sound card, and a webcam.

I have something that sort of works by setting the permissions in
rc.local. The problem with that is that it isn't dynamic. If I unplug or
plug in one of the usb devices, I have to manually set the permissions all
over again.

There should be a way to do this with udev, but I haven't figured out how.
Something, maybe in /etc/security/console.perms, is overriding it. I saw
some other posts referring to files in /etc/security/console.perms.d, but
I can't see any appropriate entries to cover sound or video devices.

Any ideas?

On Tue, May 19, 2009 3:19 am, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 22:15 -0700, Derek Tattersall wrote:
>> I am running f9.
>
> Text only or graphically?  And if graphically, Gnome, KDE, or something
> else?  The method you use may affect how you resolve this.
>
> Even in light of you mentioning audio and video, I wouldn't presume to
> exclude text-only, it could be a server...
>
> --
> [tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.21-78.2.41.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
> read messages from the public lists.
>

> --

Derek Tattersall