Re: How to set group of video and audio devices automatically

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Derek Tattersall wrote:
That shouldn't matter. I want to have the owner and group permissions set
when the appropriate /dev nodes are created, on boot up or on insertion of
the device, independently of who is logged into which terminal. I mostly
use kde.

This is something of a work in progress. I am setting up a 2 seat, 2
graphics card configuration, with one graphics card dedicated to running
mythtv, and the other a regular desktop. I want mythtv to own the tv tuner
card, and the on board sound card. I want the user logged in at the other
terminal to own a usb sound card, and a webcam.

I have something that sort of works by setting the permissions in
rc.local. The problem with that is that it isn't dynamic. If I unplug or
plug in one of the usb devices, I have to manually set the permissions all
over again.

There should be a way to do this with udev, but I haven't figured out how.
Something, maybe in /etc/security/console.perms, is overriding it. I saw
some other posts referring to files in /etc/security/console.perms.d, but
I can't see any appropriate entries to cover sound or video devices.

Any ideas?

It makes a big difference, because HAL will change the permissions
in the GUI mode. It works best when running the Gnome or KDE
desktop. On the other hand, I believe they are still handled by
console.perms when using the cli.

Mikkel
So what does HAL do if you have a multi-seat configuration? The permissions were all set up correctly before I set up the multi-seat configuration. How do I configure HAL?

Derek