Re: E-sata hotplug

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM, john wendel <jwendel10 comcast net> wrote:

After a little reading (thanks for the link), I decided that it was safe to hot-plug my e-sata disk. So, I did. And what happened? A big nothing.

I've got a WD e-sata disk connected to an Intel ICH7 controller, using the AHCI driver. If I boot with drive powered up, it comes up as device "sda". If I hot-plug it, the device doesn't get created.

I think I need to kick udev into action, but I don't know the incantation.

If you're successfully hot-plugging an e-sata disk, can you share some tips.

Thanks,

John

While certainly not definitive, I did a quick google search "Intel ICH7 sata hot plug" and found several results where hot plugging did not work. I have an AMD770 system and was able to change out my MythTV recording drive live without rebooting... ie.

1. Stopped backend service
2. unmounted file system
3. Unplugged/Removed drive
4. Installed drive/plugged it in (recognized as same device /dev/sdb, but didn't matter since I use UUID anyway)
5. Formatted XFS, discovered UUID
6. Updated /etc/fstab
7. Mounted filesystem
8. Restarted backend service.