Cannot find -lf2c compilation error

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Tue May 19 17:18:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to compile a program which was written in C. (The Makefile
> is shown below.) However, when I run the command 'make', I get the
> following error:
>
> $ make
> cc bpmain.o minput.o mpsinp.o convert.o mpsout.o mprnt.o timer.o
> readpar.o bpmpd.o pddrv.o scale.o setlam.o symmfo.o mfillin.o
> symfact.o symfact1.o refactm.o findpivs.o nfactsb3.o factsnb3.o
> rngchk.o fbtran.o itrefsol.o supn6.o supn6_.o supnode.o supupdat.o
> cstart.o cinf.o cstpcrt.o cstplen.o cnewpd.o cfixvar.o pdmodi.o
> cdiag.o cdirpc.o cdircc.o preslv.o rowsng.o colsng.o rowact.o chepdu.o
> duchek.o bndchk.o coldbl.o aggreg.o sparsr.o elimin.o pstslv.o -o
> bpmpd -O -L./f2c -lf2c -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lf2c
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bpmpd] Error 1
> $
>
> Any ideas?

The error means the library f2c.a was not found. The flag -L/f2c looks
strange - usually there's no f2c directory in /. Check where exactly
the directory is and modify the -L flag appropriately. For example, if
it's /usr/local/f2c, modify it to -L/usr/local/f2c . Note that the -L
flag specifies directories in which to search for the libraries.

HTH

Peter