How to scroll to end of command line history

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue May 19 18:16:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 19:24 +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
> On 5/19/09, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Page down works for me if I'm understanding what you want correctly (it
> > takes me down to a blank command line s.t. hitting "up arrow" again will
> > take me to the last line of history).
>
> I think that page down should only if you're less than a page back in history.

That's not the case - by default on Fedora the Page Down key is bound to
the Readline end-of-history command (same as M->).

You can confirm this with the readline dump-functions command:
    end-of-history can be found on "\e>", "\e[6~"

This is set in the default /etc/inputrc provided by the Fedora setup RPM
("\e[6~" is Page Down, "\e[5~" is Page Up).

What is "a page back" in history anyway? My current terminal height?
Doesn't seem very useful..

Regards,
Bryn.