Spin request (I guess)

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:31:01 UTC 2009

2009/5/19 Beartooth <Beartooth at comcast.net>:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 20:01:29 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> I installed F10 from the Live CD on my eeePC 1000 about a month ago and
>> nearly everything worked out of the box except suspend/resume (Wifi
>> wouldn't come back) and the Bluetooth mouse (worked with minor
>> tweaking).
>>
>> A week or so ago I upgraded to Rawhide using preupgrade and now
>> *everything* works out of the box, even the special function keys
>> (speaker volume, screen brightness etc, Wifi off/on etc.). I'm really
>> impressed with this.
>>
>> For now I don't see why anyone would need a special Fedora spin for
>> these machines.
>
>        If that works on the 701 (which is a lot smaller, in every sense,
> and slower than the 1000), it'll be the best news in a month of Sundays.

This is not an advert, merely an observation.

I was very much impressed with Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 on my 701.
What I liked (onced I turned off all the jazzy stuff I don't need) was
that it was reasonably easy to slim the packages down without taking
out huge portions of the things I wanted. I think that for the stuff I
needed on this machine (web,terminal,movies) there were less
cross-dependencies in the Debian/Ubuntu packages and that made it
easier to pick apart. It was by no means an easy install though.

That said, I look forward to trying F11 on it!

--
Sam