So what's the deal with Xen?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed May 20 08:55:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 09:39:13AM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> What's this I keep reading about Xen not being part of F10?  I need xen
> for some virtual machines I'm moving over to a F10 box temporarily and I
> can't get yum to find the xen kernel anywhere.
>
> What am I missing here?

Xen hypervisor and libs/tools are included in Fedora 10 (and upcoming Fedora 11).

dom0 capable kernel is not available upstream (ie. in standard vanilla Linux),
and backporting the old 2.6.18 xensource patches it too much work,
so Fedora currently does not have dom0 capable xen kernel included.

F10 and F11 can be used as Xen domU. So you can run for example RHEL 5.3 or
CentOS 5.3 on your dom0 and run F10/F11 guests.

Xen dom0 kernel is currently targeted for F12, assuming dom0 support gets
merged upstream Linux.. Merging is in process right now, currently planned
for Linux 2.6.31.

For the time being you can also build your own xen dom0 kernel..

-- Pasi