mounting encrypted linux partition on windows

Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez damian.sanchez at itautec.com
Wed May 20 14:06:46 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III escreveu:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:06:04 -0300,
>   Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez <damian.sanchez at itautec.com> wrote:
>> I recently decided to encrypt the / Linux partition (ext3) on my
>> dual boot PC (Windows Vista - Fedora 10).
>
>> I was told that software like FreeOTFE and TrueCrypt should let me
>> mount the encrypted partition under Windows if I have the ext3 driver,
>> but it didn't work for me. Will I necessarily have to create a new
>> encrypted volume with one of those programs and then reinstall Fedora
>> (or Windows) in it instead of simply mounting the existing encrypted
>> partition?
>
> How was it encrypted? If you used luks, it's likely that Truecyrpt won't
> work with that.

Yes, I think I used LUKS, that's the default during Fedora installation,
isn't it?

So I probably won't be able to use TrueCrypt, but FreeOTFE should work:
"FreeOTFE supports LUKS to v1.1 of the LUKS specification. This is the
latest version at time of writing (2nd December 2007)", according to them.

I guess I'll reinstall Fedora without enabling encryption during the
installation process and then log in and try this:

http://www.freeotfe.org/docs/Main/Linux_examples__dm-crypt.htm#level_3_heading_3

> I don't think linux has a way to boot off a Truecrypt encrypted root.

Yes, I must leave the /boot partition without encryption, is that what
you mean? Anyway, I intend to try again with FreeOTFE first.

> I you want to share a partition between Windows and Linux, I think it will
> need to encrypted with some application that is available for both, and will
> not be usable on / (perhaps /home will work for you). If you want it mounted
> during the boot process you'll probably need to do some customization (make
> an initscript or and some stuff to rc.local).
>
> Depending on what you are really trying to do, virtualization may be another
> path to getting what you want.

I also use virtualization, but unfortunately I sometimes I have to use
Windows directly.

Thanks.