What software is missing in the Fedora repository?

Giuseppe Fuggiano giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com
Thu May 21 07:23:08 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing a quick survey for software that you use on a regular basis
> that is not available via the Fedora repository. Software that you
> suggest should be free and open source, free of patent and other legal
> issues.
>
> Tell me the home page of the software and give me a brief description on
> what it does.  Bonus points if you can see in Google for "software-name
> fedora package review" to figure it if it is already in the Fedora
> package review queue. If you know of RPM packages in other distributions
> for the software your are suggesting, that information is useful as well.

Name: OpenAFS

Home page:  http://www.openafs.org/

AFS is a distributed filesystem product, pioneered at Carnegie Mellon
University and supported and developed as a product by Transarc
Corporation (now IBM Pittsburgh Labs). It offers a client-server
architecture for federated file sharing and replicated read-only content
distribution, providing location independence, scalability, security,
and transparent migration capabilities. AFS is available for a broad
range of heterogeneous systems including UNIX, Linux, MacOS X, and
Microsoft Windows.

Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_File_System

RPMs:  http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=openafs