OT was Re: How to recover data from a defective CDROM

Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 09:23 +0100, Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) wrote:

How do I install new firmware?  The Sony site is uninformative.

Also check is it a particular blacn *maker*,
as distinct from Brand. (CMC Magnetics, Taiyo Yuden, etc.)

The construction list for the computer says Sony AD-7220S, however the
drive's front is blank.  Or maybe you mean the disk itself and not the
drive: the disk has a large label over it, so I can't tell what brand it
is.  The disk was burnt for me about 5 years ago.

Yeah, I meant Blank Cd maker.
Unfortunately, most of the firmware updates are still done via. Windows.
A good place to get help, iirc is
http://www.cdfreaks.com/

They can probably steer you better than I can.

Frank