NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 03:30:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>wrote:

> ... which is NOT part of Fedora and NOT supported in any way (any bug you
> file which is partly or entirely caused by the nvidia driver will be closed
> CANTFIX, as only NVidia can fix it; we will NOT add workarounds to other
> software to work around their driver being broken).

I almost decided not to respond to this near troll bait and I'll probably
regret it if I don't already, but here it goes...

I wish that nvidia provided/allowed good open source drivers that had good
3D performance, but they don't. If you don't like it, which you obviously
don't, then fine, don't buy their products. The fact is, that for most
situations for most people and especially if you want any 3D performance,
you don't have a lot of options. I'm using the proprietary drivers on with a
7600GT, 8400GS, and a Quadro 570M and they all work so far without any
issues to speak of.

All lostson and I did was answer the question and even told him he would
need the propritary drivers but last time I checked this was the fedora
users list and not an open source zelot list. While everything you said may
be true, your tone certainly isn't going to persuade anyone, in fact, it
will likely have the opposite effect.

> Stop considering proprietary drivers "acceptable", they are not.

To who? I would certainly agree they are not preferable, but not everyone is
willing to do what it takes to avoid them.

Respectfully,

Richard