Re: mounting encrypted linux partition on windows

That's an interesting idea. Maybe not just character coding, but also keyboard setup: I have a brazilian portuguese keyboard that's working fine under Windows and Linux graphic mode, but quite possibly being used as a standard US keyboard outside X, which is where I enter my password before starting Fedora. I'll have a look at that, since I use some non alphanumerical characters in my password.

Damian.

Robin Laing escreveu:
Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez wrote:

Robin Laing escreveu:
Damián Rodrí­guez Sánchez wrote:

I recently decided to encrypt the / Linux partition (ext3) on my
dual boot PC (Windows Vista - Fedora 10).

I used to mount it with "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows"
(http://www.fs-driver.org) when using Windows, but now that the
partition is encrypted, its contents (obviously) appear unreadable
and I'm offered to format it.

I was told that software like FreeOTFE and TrueCrypt should let me
mount the encrypted partition under Windows if I have the ext3 driver,
but it didn't work for me. Will I necessarily have to create a new
encrypted volume with one of those programs and then reinstall Fedora
(or Windows) in it instead of simply mounting the existing encrypted
partition?

I have this bookmarked but I have not tried it as I do not have any windows computers to try it with. It was a "Just in case".

Mounting LUKS / dm-crypt Partitions in Microsoft Windows
http://blog.yibble.org/2009/01/29/mounting-luks-dm-crypt-partitions-in-microsoft-windows/

Full procedure to use Ext2fsd and FreeOTFE.

 > Thank you, but that's exactly what I had done
 > and it kept saying my key was incorrect.
 >
 > I'll have a better look at my Luks configurations.

I wonder if your having an issue in character coding between Windows and Linux. Try setting a second key that is basic for testing and see if it works. You can delete it later.

luksAddKey
luksRemoveKey or luksKillSlot